Thursday, May 1, 2008

MayDay MayDay!

It must be May because I spent last night spring green with envy. I even took it out on my dinner. As it was my first full day back, I decided to give myself a hall pass on the gym and put my stretchy pants immediately upon getting home (HC thinks my priorities are a little out of whack). There was a lot of television to catch up on, not to mention a rather out-of-control Google Reader. I poured myself a glass of wine, took out a chicken breast and decided to appease my health-hungry tummy with something seasonal, already in my house and delicious. This is what we came up with:

Spring Green Chicken with Pesto, Spinach, Goat Cheese and Whole Wheat Pasta
1 small chicken breast (4-5 oz)
1/3 cup of defrosted frozen spinach
2TB of prepared pesto (Made a big batch WAY back when and am still living off the fruits from my freezer)
1 oz Herbed Goat Cheese
Whole wheat spaghetti

I started with light salt and pepper on either side of my chicken breast and then threw it into a heated skillet coated with Pam and about a TB of extra virgin olive oil. Med heat for 5 min on each side but be sure that it’s cooked through as thickness varies. As the chicken begins to brown on one side, turn it over and schmear about a ½ tsp of the pesto over the top to finish cooking. Transfer to a plate, cut to bite-size and keep warm.

In the meantime, cook your pasta. When done, add the rest of the pesto, the chopped spinach, crumbled goat cheese and chicken. Toss and serve a healthy meal that tastes a lot richer than it is!

6 comments:

nicole antoinette said...

I'm sorry, did you say goat cheese? And stretchy pants?

I'm so in on both of those.

Anonymous said...

This sounds amazing! Now, the goat cheese, not so sure about because I've never had it.

Nilsa S. said...

Let me tell you, I could've used you to help dull the pain Chester handed out last night. One of the worst (i.e., hardest) workouts ever. Lots of running up and down stairs with Chester at the top egging us on - he's evil!

That chicken recipe sounds divine! We have chicken & pasta on tap tonight. Only ours will be with mushrooms and tomatoes and a little EVOO.

Have a great weekend - hope you can dodge the raindrops at Looptopia; it doesn't look good.

L Sass said...

Delicious pasta! I crave pesto in the spring, too. It tastes so GREEN.

I love Oslo, I wish you were with the group visiting my homeland now.

Anonymous said...

Angela and I were planning on going to Looptopia, but I'm not sure now. The weather looks pretty nasty :(

Cheryl said...

If you go to Looptopia, hope you can stay dry. Maybe you're used to the rain after England though???

I have given myself a pass on the gym for a month...oops.