Monday, August 9, 2010

Farmstand Toast- I Put A Egg On It

It was a real weekend. Tonight I feel like I have been wrung out like a tea towel but I take nothing back. Not the driving day to Wisconsin. Not the Sprecher's root beer or the spit-roasted chicken. I do not take back the pounds of produce purchased in a house bearing painted mushroom murals. I don't take back a whiskeydrink, a nip of pie crust, a lobster corndog or a single second of sunshine filtered through a large straw hat.

I can't bring myself to regret the hours spent being decidedly awake and giddy when I would typically have been drooling into a pillow. It was a real weekend, filled with ice cream and friendlies and dancing in the grass. I would not take the hippiechild moments back, even though it means I've launched into full-on cat stretches and cavernous yawns throughout the afternoon and evening.

While most of the weekend was spent as a fuzzy sweatfox (caught in a near constant state of music and junk food-fueled rush), I gave myself a break on Sunday. Knowing the day ahead would be festival hours and festival food, I took a look at my foodstuffs and set to work on a simple and delicious brunch that could easily transition to lunch or dinner.
Lake Geneva- Love that this could just as easily be 1970 as 2010. Gimme my glam rock and denim shorts.

We'd stopped at River Valley Mushrooms on the way back from Lake Geneva the day before (the Mushroom Council is a client but this was not official business. In the least.). I was thrilled to see more than just an array of the shrooms themselves but a full farmstand spread including muskmelon, golden plums, peaches, cherry tomatoes- all of which came home with me.

A slow morning with a light rain and nowhere to be for a few hours- that's the break needed from a really rascally weekend fun run. I'd been gifted with a loaf a multigrain bread from Flourish and thus proper toast has been the basis for many meals this last week. Two slices tossed into their dedicated blackener and I set to work on the veggies.

One big frying pan took on quartered creminis, halved garden cherry tomatoes and angular pieces of gai laan (Chinese broccoli), my latest vegetable obsession. All were sauteed in a small amount of olive oil with a minced clove of fresh garlic until they were cooked but still bright. From there I just scooted the veggies over and cracked a fresh egg into the pan, letting the whites go opaque on both sides. Ironically, tonight's bedtime reading is actually a new foodzine called "Put A Egg On It." So far so good- thanks Tasting Table for the tip.

The toast came out hot and crunchy and was immediately spread with a thin layer of Prairie Fruits Farm goat cheese then layered with the vegetables and topped with a single shared egg. It was fresh and light and the perfect way to temper some unapologetically indulgent behavior the rest of the weekend.

Case in point: Peach Blueberry Pie, served still-warm after being cut open with a pocket switchblade and passed in-dish from person to person with a pair of shared utensils. Cheap beer chaser encouraged. Felt right to end on that.



12 comments:

Laurel said...

YUM. Am now looking at my crappy granola bar in disgust.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome, and Flourish is one of my favorite Chicago bakeries! And it's totally true, everything is better with an egg on top!

Amanda said...

I'm finding out that putting an egg on just about anything is usually a good idea. Especially pizza. Especially with a farm fresh egg. Nothing tastes more egg-y!

Kelly said...

Yum. That pie looks amazing.

jackie fo said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend - that pie looks amazing btw :)

Jillyann said...

Wow...that farm stand toast looks amazing. If I left the egg off...I could so get into that for breakfast (allergic to eggs). Thanks for commenting on my blog...I tracked it back to yours. Great blog!

We Are Not Martha said...

I am all for the "put an egg on it" philosophy. I love a good egg sandwich, but with all those veggies? You just knocked it up more than a few notches!!

Sues

Nicci said...

I would love a sandwich like that.

Nora said...

Lake Geneva! Ahhh! My grandpa used to take me and my cousins there.

Thanks for the smile.

Linda said...

Your pies always look great!

LL said...

I want! The bowl of skittles I just ate was a sorry excuse for a lunch.

Yvonne said...

Sunday breakfast looks good, Jessi!

Nice to have met you at Kendall last Saturday. Be in touch some time.