Monday, November 28, 2011

Red Pepper Almond Hummus and Keeping It Simple

As I'm thinking many of you probably did this past week, I am just on the other side of a really nice few days with the family. Mom and Dad flew into Chicago, now the residence of both their children, and we spent a relaxed few days taking in the sights, smells and (clearly...do you know us at all?) tastes of an unseasonably warm city.

This would be Brother giving us a tour of his most recent campus home.

As Dad rightly noted, we just don't see each other very much these days so to get a couple weeks in one month's time feels like a luxury.

The other luxury is getting to play the tourist. I've lived in Chicago for going on seven years and I hadn't been to the Field Museum in that time. That is a tragedy and something we spent four full hours rectifying on Thanksgiving morning. We were first in line and got what felt like a private tour of the birds of North America, geologic treasures, the special Whales exhibit and the like. That's the kind of prioritizing you can expect from holiday Langsens.

It was decided early in the planning stages that me making Thanksgiving dinner was going to be more fuss that it was maybe worth for 3-5 people. I'm still not entirely sure I agree but I know when to defer and I don't regret the dearth of dishes in my kitchen (the dearth of turkey leftovers is another story). And while we ate really (Longman & Eagle), really (Leopold) well throughout the city, I'm pleased as punch that my favorite latest snack was appreciated by the whole family throughout the weekend.

If I were to venture a guess at your thoughts, I might wonder what the big deal was. Hummus is generally four ingredients tops and it's just not terribly tricky. To that end, you would be completely correct. It's easy. But a couple quick tweaks to traditional hummus makes this stuff completely addictive, not to mention versatile, delicious and delightfully cost-effective as a holiday potlucker.

Red Pepper Almond Hummus
  • 1/2 small jar of roasted red peppers (no juice)
  • 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (Bush's is a client and a favorite...the two are not mutually exclusive)
  • 1/4 cup whole raw almonds
  • 2-3 TB olive oil
  • 1 tsp Sriracha (more if you like the heat)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • Thick pinch of smoked salt and some freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor then turn it on.
2. Throw a cracker in and adjust as needed by adding more of whatever you please to the food processor then whirring again.
3. That's it. You're done now.

Covered in the fridge , this will keep beautifully for a week. The likelihood of this lasting for a week is slim at best. If you're really looking to go the extra mile, might I recommend spreading the stuff on toast, layering slices from half of an avocado on top, drizzling a little extra Sriracha and topping it with a fried egg. Just in case you were looking for ideas.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like you had a fantastic weekend with family. It must be fantastic to have your brother so close. I was actually just dating (and broke up with) someone this fall who was at Kellogg as well. He seemed to really like it and it seems like they sure now how to balance work and play.

Hope all is well and perhaps I'll see you this weekend for the food swap.

TKTC said...

Thanks so much, Kelly! Brother is definitely a studious fellow these days but I'm sure the balance will come with time. It's a happy kind of nuttiness. Missed you at the food swap!