Friday, June 6, 2008

Pie & Sci Fi

I made the Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Smitten Kitchen on Wednesday night. If you jump to the original post, she starts out talking about how "Pies smell fear." There is definitely something to this. I've also believed once or twice that I could pass energy through food I cooked a la "Like Water for Chocolate" (one of my all-time favorite movies). Somewhere in between those two truths, I was hoping my first attempt at pie crust would smell less like fear and taste more like bliss.

It worked. As of this morning, only 30% of the pie remains and the pie's person hasn't had breakfast yet. Two nights in a row of pie, wine and Battlestar Galactica.

On a related note, I am so content right now, it could be unnerving. But I'm too content to be unnerved so instead I'm just grateful. James Taylor concert at Ravinia tonight and we're bringing tzatziki and 7& Sevens.

And in case you were wondering, summer has come to the Greater Chicago area.

10 comments:

Nilsa S. said...

89 and humid? Yes, summer most definitely has arriven (yes, it is now a word).

Have fun with James Taylor - I saw him years ago in Harvard Stadium!

L Sass said...

Seriously, this is my dream date. Battlestar + strawberry rhubarb pie?

FRAKKING AWESOME.

Shelley said...

The humidity as of late definitely indicates summer in the Midwest.

Ingrid Michaelson was GREAT tonight. Her dialog between songs was hilarious... plus she was super nice when I met her after the show.

Hope you had fun at the James Taylor show. I saw his son, Ben, about two years ago... sounds A LOT like his dad.

Katrin said...

That pie looks delicious. I still have pie crust left, so I might as well make one of those sometime this week. :)

TKTC said...

Nilsa: It's a jungle out there. And in here. I've got the window fan out!

Sass: Ummm mine too!!!

Shelley: I swear we almost drove to Madison. Very very close and I agree...Ingrid was in top form in Chicago as well. I was laughing pretty hard.

I have a few Ben songs and yea, good genes for that one!

Katrin: You make extra pie crust? BRILLIANT!! I should have thought of that so I could just fill the next one. In terms of filling though...so so good. And what a beautiful color!

So@24 said...

7 & 7s?? James Taylor??

I need to hang out with you.

The Charming Hedonist said...

Pie for breakfast? Mmmmmm.

Cheryl said...

It's come with a vengeance, I'd say. And strawberry rhubarb pie is perfect for it.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I really wish that we were friends because Id haveyou cook for me all the time. LOL.

DW Bits said...

Seeing James Taylor's a nice time, although the kid who opened for him last time totally stole the show: Justin King was his name.

One can totally pass energies into whatever the labor is that one is doing in a particular state of mind. Like Water for Chocolate is a great movie (book too), and serves as a fine example of this. Another one is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, although it doesn't focus on that so much. When good music is playing, I find I cook my best meals, motown in particular. Anytime I can dance whilst cooking the food ends up more lively and flavorful.

This blog has completely become a guilty pleasure: seeing so many pictures of tasty things that I want to devote more time to making (in the near future), and so many people savoring good food. All of the folks in these pictures are wearing perhaps the most attractive accessory of all: big, genuine smiles.

Keep up the good work!