That meal being the first time we've sat down for a meal together. It's not too surprising when you consider that we've each chosen to live alone but it's amazing that in this big house, I see them maaaybe once a week and that is by chance passing in the garden. It was time for a change.
After much calendar negotiation, we found a date that worked and tonight it was. I left work a little late and ran home to walk/run Branner-boy (love- he was so good!!). I think that may have been the point when I snapped out of the funk I've been in since Monday. Some puppy time.
Anyway, I had just enough time to put my chocolate trifle together when it was time to walk upstairs. Walk upstairs into the summer spread that dreams are made of.
For starters (My Neighbor):
- Goat Cheese baked with Diced Garlic&Onion Tomatoes on Top, drizzled with EVOO and served with a small oven-warmed boule.
- Mixed Green salad with dried cherries, toasted almonds, crushed ramen noodles and a sweet Balsamic dressing
For dinner (Ala, the Lady of the Land):
- Grilled chicken marinated in EVOO, garlic, fresh oregano (from the garden, of course) and some chili powder
- Chicken was served with a Mango, Avocado, Scallion and Cilantro relish (I need the specific recipe, could eat with a spoon...and did)
- Grilled portobello mushrooms and summer squash marinated similarly to the chicken but only lightly
For dessert (Me, the least elegant of the bunch):
We were so full of wine and fresh air and good food and great company at that point that I was impressed when they finished their servings. I do have a TON leftover though and while I will bring some to the office tomorrow, it's nothing that Jaimeson can't handle come Thursday.
I walked away thinking, how did I not realize the degree to which I enjoy my neighbors?? We share a roof!! We're all so busy that it may not happen often but these little dinners will definitely be happening with more frequency.
And with that, I am headed to bed. Happy, healthy and full of mischief on a cool night in Wicked Park. If you want to stay up later to giggle, check out the girls' tour blog (Alexa Wilkinson, Laura Jansen and a few others I believe). Hilarious, ridiculous and let's just imagine being on a 6 week roadtrip with your girlfriends? All adjectives apply:)