Monday, August 25, 2008

Never Was Just One Thing


And when it gets like this, I am so many different things…all bright and bursting at the seams.

The light out front right now is quite literally golden. I got home from work and discovered that we are apparently growing pumpkins in the garden. There are blossoms erupting from the plant with two babies already proving that we’re going to bear fruit this year.

When I got down to count the blooms, I could smell the dirt and acorns and I felt about 9 years old. It was that kind of energy- the energy of a new school year and a new beginning. Smells like crunchy leaves and fresh notebooks. New lockers and bigger blankets. Jeans with high boots. Corn chowder and roasted chicken and acorn squash baked with brown butter.

The kind of energy that makes dogs crouch low to the ground when they get excited because rapid tail wagging either isn’t cutting it or there is concern that the enthusiasm might propel them off the ground. I think I actually shook my tail on the way out of work today and I’m really hoping no one was behind me. Couldn’t help it.

All I want to do is put on a light sweater, pour something red and velvety in a glass and take lots of deep breaths. This is my favorite. If we have this weather on the Cape over the weekend, I will be a serious force to be reckoned with. I will drag a gigantic comforter and a broad shouldered boy out to the hammock in the late afternoon and just lay there in the sun... a fluffy bundle of ecstatic big hair. I will need to have walked around the beach or several galleries first so I am tired enough to take the nap of my lifetime. It is hard to sleep when ecstatic.

Fall is coming…. I can feel it.

11 comments:

Ben said...

Fall is the absolute greatest. I'm so excited for sweaters, apple and pumpkin picking, corn mazes, crisp mornings, apple cider, and scarves. SO excited!

Anonymous said...

I feel it, too! I made a peach cobbler tonight and it made me think of apple picking and what I'm going to do with those apples. Yum!

Bayjb said...

Right now it feels like fall is coming. One of my favorite times of year. I love this weather for sleeping, I'm out like a log.

Anonymous said...

i love this post.

especially the big hair/hammock part.

amomthing

Laurie Stark said...

Oh, I am SO excited for fall. I'm even (shhhhhhhhhhh) excited for the thing that comes after it.

Mmmmmmm bundles.

And yes! Fresh notebooks! Been thinking a lot lately about the excitement of that.

nicole antoinette said...

Ah I LOVE fall. And your description of it!!

SeeLeigh said...

your weekend down the cape sounds so fantastic right about now! jealous!
(

Lauren said...

Fall is my FAVORITE. The colors, the weather, the foods...it's amazing. I just wish it got colder in Florida.

Anonymous said...

ok i love fall and i can feel it coming BUT...

i am not ready for summer to end. is it me or did it go too fast?

Anonymous said...

Autumn is my favorite season :)

Katrin said...

Wonderful. So touchingly written. *sigh*