Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekend Cat Blogging: Look at Me Edition

As far as Sundays go, it's a good one. Up early and at Lula Cafe for breakfast with Janine when they opened. We don't see each other nearly as often as we mean to but it's like inhaling a series of cool, deep breaths every time we do. I don't know why that's the thing that comes to mind when we change topics so rapidly that a breath could easily be forgotten but it's refreshing.

I'm reminded again why that place remains one of my best brunches in Chicago ( just about tied for first with Longman & Eagle). Delicious. And afterward a lap around the Logan Square Farmers Market with the woman who, no joke, wrote the book on Midwestern Farmers Markets. That means stopping to chat with all the vendors and sampling along the way. Janine is a naturally charming person but she also asks the questions I don't always remember when confronted by something tempting. For me, it was an excellent reminder of "conscious consumption" in action. And sometimes that includes a mini cone of Cashew Crunch.

I nabbed a number of goodies to supplement my own growing bounty but a jar from the Chicago Honey Co-op and a bright bouquet from Tempel Farm Organics topped out I think.

Of course just when I start to grab a couple pictures of what is now a very happy kitchen table, I am reminded of who the star of Sunday is in reality.

"Oh a few photos? Of course I don't mind."

She was promptly shooed off the table but another reminder that Honeycat will not accept second billing to a single other organic entity in this house. What on earth was I thinking.

4 comments:

Bree said...

I wish I could have fresh flowers in my house. The cats will keep munching on them even after throwing up.

Kelly said...

I will have to check out Longman and Eagle for brunch. I hit it up for dinner a few weeks ago and our dishes seemed kind of hit or miss. Anything on the brunch menu you think is not to be missed?

Unknown said...

That's it. I can't take it any more. Stop blogging about your life immediately lest I come steal it.

Janine at Rustic Kitchen said...

And such a lovely Sunday it was! Every week should have such delight. xo