Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Docta Docta!

For whatever reason, it took me a little bit to figure out whether to post this or not. But then I realized that's why I needed to- it's the dialog that's important and having already had some version of this conversation with three good friends recently, this might be helpful.

I had my last dose of Gardasil today, the vaccine for HPV. I started it almost a year ago and three shots later, excuse my Sailor, I have moved several steps forward in saying Fuck You to ever having cervical cancer.

I know, it's an icky topic for a lot of people and we will get back to music, shoes, food and the like shortly but know this: a strain of HPV will effect 80% of women by age 50. Many of those will never have so much as a symptom, guys in particular, but many others will have one of the dangerous strains that lead to cancer. I have had people I care a lot about effected by this- none being of the habits I would at my most stereotypical associate with STD's. With that in mind, as soon as there was a vaccine I ran for it- it's currently recommended for "women" 13-26 and potentially older pending a one-on-one doctor talk.No matter who/what you're current "mischief" or "trouble" situation is (you would know if I had anything interesting happening), this is so so important. Get checked out, get the vaccine and keep up the good work. Hopefully the good sex too...lucky bitches:)

*Also, speaking of doctors, last week I made a cryptic reference to a claim-to-fame sports injury. Thanks to my parents’ heavy documentation of my prolonged awkward stage, the photo evidence has been inserted within my Meme. You’ll know. Ouch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a scary thing. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to have to talk to my wife about it.

Susie said...

good post! I'm getting my 3rd one in Feb. Yayyy. And also yay to good sex :)

TKTC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TKTC said...

DD- It's a good thing to test for and assuming your wife goes in for her yearly check-up, in all likelihood they would have caught it by now if she was at risk. If you have a daughter (I don't think you do, yet) she would be the one to get the vaccine. Pending further research, guys should be able to get the vaccine soon as well. Incredibly important since it is largely asymptomatic for them.

Sus- I'm so glad I know someone else getting it! And yes, we're all yay for good sex. Great, even ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad somebody is posting this. I think it's so important for women, especially, to be knowledgeable about their health and be prepared and safe.

Gjelly said...

You know, I've never really considered getting this done.... but I think I should now! I have a friend who just found out she has HPV and is going through all kinds testing... I'd rather not have to go through that ever. Thanks for the post!