Thursday, May 29, 2008

Recipes: Cape Cod Kitchen Edition

Aunt Mary's Amazing Vanilla Rhubarb Cake
(aka best way to come home from beach yoga on world record)

1 pkg vanilla cake mix (Mary's was organic)
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 pint (two cups) heavy whipping cream
  • Heat oven to 350 then grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs with a hand mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes on HIGH.
  • Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
  • Top with rhubarb then sprinkle sugar over the top of the rhubarb and batter.
  • Pour cream on top of batter, rhubarb and sugar. This will create a custard consistency once cooked- OMG (Did I use that right? ).
  • Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Tent top if browning too quickly.
  • Serve warm and steal a couple squares for yourself because it will go FAST.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Coming Soon (thanks Smitten Kitchen!)
This is not the end of the rhubarb talk, friends. I may have promised someone a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and Battlestar Galactica when he gets in next week.

Speaking of, who has been to Bonnaroo? Have you SEEN the line-up this year?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I think I'll be hitting up the farmer's markets this weekend for rhubarb and strawberries. Can't wait!

Laurie Stark said...

Here's what happened when I saw this post this morning:

1. Read the post.
2. Put on a pair of jeans.
3. Went to the grocery store and bought ingredients to make this cake.

I'm about to make it literally right now! Ha!

Laurie Stark said...

It is truly amazing. Two thumbs up from Your Ill-fitting Overcoat & YIFO's roommate!

TKTC said...

DG- I recommend completely. Strawberries and rhubarb- both cheap and I’ll let you know how the pie comes out. I’ve yet to get homemade crust JUST right...

Overcoat- I am laughing my ass off right now/ incredibly jealous that you have fresh cake. You have CAKE!!! YUM!!!! Post pics!

DW Bits said...

Thanks muchly! This'll get made within the next day or two, for sure.