Thursday, May 29, 2008

Recipes: Cape Cod Kitchen Edition

Aunt Mary's Amazing Vanilla Rhubarb Cake
(aka best way to come home from beach yoga on world record)

1 pkg vanilla cake mix (Mary's was organic)
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 pint (two cups) heavy whipping cream
  • Heat oven to 350 then grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs with a hand mixer at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes on HIGH.
  • Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
  • Top with rhubarb then sprinkle sugar over the top of the rhubarb and batter.
  • Pour cream on top of batter, rhubarb and sugar. This will create a custard consistency once cooked- OMG (Did I use that right? ).
  • Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Tent top if browning too quickly.
  • Serve warm and steal a couple squares for yourself because it will go FAST.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Coming Soon (thanks Smitten Kitchen!)
This is not the end of the rhubarb talk, friends. I may have promised someone a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and Battlestar Galactica when he gets in next week.

Speaking of, who has been to Bonnaroo? Have you SEEN the line-up this year?

5 comments:

DG said...

Yum! I think I'll be hitting up the farmer's markets this weekend for rhubarb and strawberries. Can't wait!

Your Ill-fitting Overcoat said...

Here's what happened when I saw this post this morning:

1. Read the post.
2. Put on a pair of jeans.
3. Went to the grocery store and bought ingredients to make this cake.

I'm about to make it literally right now! Ha!

Your Ill-fitting Overcoat said...

It is truly amazing. Two thumbs up from Your Ill-fitting Overcoat & YIFO's roommate!

ToKissTheCook said...

DG- I recommend completely. Strawberries and rhubarb- both cheap and I’ll let you know how the pie comes out. I’ve yet to get homemade crust JUST right...

Overcoat- I am laughing my ass off right now/ incredibly jealous that you have fresh cake. You have CAKE!!! YUM!!!! Post pics!

DW Bits said...

Thanks muchly! This'll get made within the next day or two, for sure.